Communication is hard – unless…
It’s so sad when I hear married couples say, “we don’t talk anymore.” Or when I see young couples arguing in public. And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in corporate meetings where heated opinions drowned out productive talk. Yeah, communication is hard when people choose to make it that way. And it’s definitely a choice.
So, do you choose to believe communication is hard?
And if so, do you think maybe it’s because you prefer to avoid it? I learned a long time ago, when you have difficulty communicating, talk about that. Sounds funny, right? But here’s what I mean…
Be willing to let people know you’re having a difficult time talking about something. That’s actually a great way to get communication started. And don’t be surprised if the other person shows a lot more understanding than you thought they would. Because there’s a good chance they felt the same way.
And if you’re worried you might lose your composure, stick to the following tips:
- Remember to breathe. Anxiety can negatively affect your breathing. And that can lead to more anxiety.
- Communication isn’t a race. So keep your rhythm. Keep your pace. And you’ll keep your composure.
- Be quiet. People who are comfortable with silence often appear to be the smartest in the room. Negotiations 101 says whoever speaks first loses. Don’t let that be you.
- Listen. Pay attention to questions. And give direct answers. They don’t hand out prizes for the longest answer. And the more words you use, the more likely you’ll say or do something wrong.
- Focus. When you get off topic, you lose your audience. “Just the facts ma’am”
Remember, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.
You learn a lot more by listening. You want to be heard? Listening will help get you there. And communication will become one of the easiest parts of your business. And when you wanna make all the rest of the parts of your business easier, plug into my RondaReady business coach CRM system. Lots and lots of clients have already increased their profits lots and lots. You should be next.
When you’re really, really ready to get ready, get RondaReady and…